Biblical Servants, Biblical Men | Be Strong
Timmy Burnette | Be Strong
Men, we are called to be watchful, to stand firm in the faith, and to be strong. Our culture is afraid of true Biblical manhood because it stands against the worldliness. We need men of courage who have a wartime mentality towards sin.
In this session, Timmy Burnette preached through 1 Corinthian 16:13-14 — where Paul calls men to step into the roles God created them for.
Don’t need to listen to the worldly definition of strength. Strength comes from standing firm in Truth, in the face of chaos and today’s culture. Let’s dive into the Word, pursue personal holiness, and lead in our families and churches well.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14
View Sermon Notes
I Corinthians 16
The grass withers and the flower fades, but the Word of the Lord stands forever
Shortage of Men …
If we survey the evangelical church today, we see that there is a man crisis and this crisis is not what you might be led to believe. The evangelical church isn’t being swept away by toxic masculinity. ….as many popular podcast and the like would tell you… In fact, the opposite is true. The evangelical church is being feminized. The church lacks masculine leadership and this creates vulnerability and a lack of security.
I’m not talking about men being those who are identified with their trophies or accolades… or trying to impress someone else by climbing the career ladder……a man is not the one who can hit the hardest and fart the loudest….and if a man does stand up and start take his God given role he is pushed back and made to think his being hostile and toxic…. this is because our culture has pushed manhood down… Men in our culture are degraded in so many ways. Most men and fathers are pictured as a harmless bumbling boy who can shave….and he must be shown the way by his wise savy children and his feminist wife. ….or I know some idiots that think a man is the one who can make it the furthest on the latest video game.. or see how many women he can get….but as the years have rolled and culture has been destroyed… there are extremes that have superseded downgraded manhood… the extreme is now that there is no gender… that its fluid…. I think the most sickening thing I have seen in while is the picture of the Sec. of transportation.. Pete.. and his husband sitting together in a hospital bed with their child born to a surrogate…. As if they made this baby and birthed it…..These examples are not the man the bible speaks of.. That’s a mockery manhood…..so society is facing a crisis. ….the church has faced a crisis as well… most men in the evangelical churches have taken the route of the father Adam… and have passively stepped out of the battle for our wives, families, and churches….most Christian men are so afraid of getting wounded they have left the fight…
We need men of courage today…men who are willing to take responsibility for themselves and for others.. .men of discipline … MEN OF GOD.. In our society, our women, our children, in our churches…. in this very nation….they are crying out for men who will be protectors and defenders, honorable men those will show our wives and children Love of Christ through the lives we live… Can I say that womanly virtue, value and honor …true femineity are dependent upon biblical men….the nurture of our children, and really the continuation of anything approaching civilization are absolutely dependent upon biblical manhood … as well
The consequences for the lack of Biblical Men
Attack on Women…sexual slavery and porn increase exponentially every year… ..Attack on Marriage
Attack on manhood…attack on children …Attack on humanity… because those whom God has called to stand in the gap to pray for…. Have become impotent… with no power… a Lion without Teeth…
Single motherhood has grown so common in America that today 80 percent of single-parent families are headed by single mothers — nearly a third live in poverty.
Once largely limited to poor women and minorities, single motherhood is now becoming the new “norm”. This prevalence is due in part to the growing trend of children born outside marriage — a societal trend that was virtually unheard of decades ago.
Among all homeless families nationwide, about two thirds (60%) were headed by single women with children
- 5 times more likely to commit suicide,
- 9 times more likely to drop out of high school,
- 10 times more likely to abuse chemical substances,
- 14 times more likely to commit rape,
- 20 times more likely to end up in prison,
- 32 times more likely to run away from home.
IN the Church …..
Of all the churches in the New Testament to which Paul wrote there was none that was in much trouble as the Corinthian church. There was none that was a sinful as the Corinthian church. There was none that had failed so badly to be what God designed His church to be. The Corinthians were really in trouble.
In the Context of a church that is dealing with major problems and closes with his last word to the men….. (because we are responsible)
> Watch …. on the look out
The Christian life must be a life of alertness. We’ve got be awake. Now I am not talking about being Woke….I am talking about alertness….a war time attitude …We have to have our senses acute to understanding what’s going on, to evaluate and to be aware of what the adversary is doing. You can’t live the Christian life, Paul is saying, in a state of stupor. You’ve got to be alert….we must tune our senses to everything that is going on around us… become a student of our context… to know the winds .. to be ready… to every twig break…..if you read what was going on in Corinth… it was some messed up stuff… but look at what is going on around us now… we must be alert…
- a. On alert – to be serious …. Not stoic … and absent but awake…
- Be Diligent
- on Guard
Watch yourself …pursuit of Holiness…temptation
Discipline …Stone wall Jackson- He had never tasted butter until he was a young man. When he tried it for the first time he liked it so much he was afraid that his desire for it would hinder his relationship with God. It would become an idol….you better guard you heart… we are talking about the priest hood… the priest before he did his holy work in the Temple.. he had to get his heart and head right…for if he did not he would die or at best be worthless…
Watch Your Family
Wife – do you know her.. do you know what she needs to thrive as a women of God…what wars is he facing alone… are you fighting them for her…if no why not… don’t fall into the trap that Adam fell into… don’t become consumed with you job.. you hobby… your ministry and forget her…let me say something to you Pastors… you are not qualified to lead God’s church by your networking skills…or your great speaking skills… could it be your degrees and education…. None of these… you are qualified by your holiness and the way you lead your family …
Children – what are they doing… who is speaking in their lives..
- Their Phone … don’t be naive … know whats getting into the heart of your children
Watch Your Church ..the kingdom of God
servant…and commit and serve your church…gifts… talents
We are to WATCH…BUT THE NEXT COMMAND IS TO STAND FIRM..
> Stand Firm in the Faith
- You need to Know what you Believe… Knowing the Gospel…this not about a moralistic approach to God ..its about full need in the blood of Christ….submitting to the LORD…. Relinquishing you life totally to him..
- You Sir….are the resident theologian of the House… you are the shepherd of the home.. you…not your wife.. not your pastor….not Beth More.. not John Piper…Not anyone…..YOU YOU YOU…..as the Greek word used here reminds me of the word Stake…..you need to hammer this in you life.. and the lack of such could be why the western church is in the shape its in…so we must know the True Gospel …of Grace that begins with a sovereign Lord…who is in full control ..a King who rules and has all things in His hands
- No Questioning the living Lord a fully relying upon his life and death
- Nothing without Christ
- full Dependence on Jesus
- Christ is your example
- Preaching the truth of the Gospel
- To yourself …reminding of what you have been saved from… and what it took… and then remembering that you have been adopted and called to represent the Warrior KING just like the priest of old
- Living the truth Gospel
- Taking responsibility for others like Christ did..
- Not on yourself or your own understanding …
- You must know the Lord and Word
WE ARE TO WATCH, STAND FIRM ….BUT ALSO BE STRONG
> Be Strong
- Not a worldly view of strength
- okay this is not a call to start living off the land and homesteading… this type of strength and should be exhibited in men of all walks.. whether you are bearded mountain man or suit and tie financial advisor all of those in between…
- But the scripture never contradicts itself… and it was Paul that said when I am weak I am strong because I am an Instrument in the Hand of God
- Standing in the face of chaos and division and being a beacon of strength because of the grace that has been bestowed on you…..being one who stands and inspires and leads … a show of strength and a call to arms.
- Strong men live in the strength of God…
But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
Totally living and depending on the Grace of God!!!
WE ARE TO WATCH, STAND FIRM, BE STRONG, AND QUICKY WE ARE TO LOVE
- Our actions must be filtered through love
- Sacrifice …selfless acts …this means grace…
- So we give grace… we give love.. we don’t hold grudge…we not that guy…
WE ARE TO WATCH, STAND FIRM, BE STRONG, TO LOVE…AND FINALY ACT LIKE MEN …
> Act Like Men
This is a profound statement and a word that is only used once in the New Testament…… You see Paul is calling the men of the church to literally be a man. In fact, the Greek word occurs only one time in the New Testament — this Imperative verb which is taken from a noun which means “man” — it literally is now turning the noun into a verb — “become a man; you be a man.”
there is ALSO an assumption of what a man is …biblically what this means is a call for courageous men to rise up …Paul answers God…. when God said in the garden…..where are you Adam?…Where are the Men … where were you when the snake attacked you wife… where were you when he tempted her… where were you when you believed….the lie ….and Paul answered BE A MAN …
- God Designed Men ….. Protect, Provide, defend….
- Grow Up
- We have been purchased by the blood….don’t be scared…
- This means we go
- This means we protect…
- We do not leave room for abuse …or to raise you voice… or give you wife that Look of threat … HOW IS THAT CHRIST LIKE….you do that you are a coward… you have a issue .. you need to find another man to help you with this… for a man is one who…..
- We pick up those who hurt
- We stay up late with that brother who is suffering and struggling
- We treat our wives like the daughters of God they are…and show them their Love is worth fighting for
- We are tough….we can take a punch….we are to not fear suffering we can take a shot still serve still love…LIKE CHRIST ..and give one if needed
- We are tender….and are man enough to pray for and with our children ….
- Our hands can be weapons and they can be used to heal….May both of these Gifts …be used for the Glory of God and Joy of the church !!!!!!!!
- Though Grace …we take up responsibility for ourselves and those who God has put around us…
- This is not popular.. this is not who men are now but this is what we must be… this is how we change the culture this was the prescription Paul gave to a very sick church…
- For the sake of our Wives, Daughter and sons let us show them Jesus with our life..
A call to conviction, compassion, and courage
Want to go deeper?
BE STRONG 2024
P.S. If you liked this episode, we’d love to hear your feedback! Please leave us a review on Apple or Spotify and help us get the content out to help others grow in their faith and mission to equip the Church.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Get resources, podcast episodes, and SWO updates sent directly to your inbox.